Thursday, August 4, 2011

Men in Grey Suits


As many of you know, it’s Shark Week on the Discovery Channel!  I’m kind of ashamed to admit it, but this is really the first year I’ve gone out of my way to make time for Shark Week.  How could I have missed this amazingness!?  For those of you who know me pretty well, you know that I consider watching tv a “tremendous waste of time,” and I’d “take a book over a tv show or movie anyday.”

But Shark Week is totally different!

The Great White - the stuff of my nightmares!

I’m not usually one for blood and guts and overall grossness – but sharks are just so cool…and freakin’ scary!

Shark Week is reminding me why I’m not much of a fan of the water and why I’m afraid to go out too far / too deep in the ocean.  I can’t get over how many shark attacks occur in such shallow water!

The Hammerhead - the coolest shark out there!

This week has also reminded me why I think most surfers are crazy.  While I like to watch them ride the waves, I can’t get over the fact that they’ll enter the water when they know sharks are around.  In one show, a surfer mentioned their code for sharks.  He said when a new surfer enters the water, he’ll say, “There are men in grey suits out here today.”

Umm…no thanks.  You can keep the water and your board…I’ll take the sandy beach and my book.

I love this picture because I know it's fake...this email hoax circulated around 2001.  The helicopter and diver were in San Francisco, and the breaching Great White was of the coast of South Africa.

 There is one animal in a grey suit that I love though – and that, of course, is Misty Mystique.  But just like the “men in grey suits,” Misty has been known to try and take a bite out of people in her way!!

Yes, she will bite you.