Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Where has the time gone?

 
On this Friday, September 30th, I will be turning 29…for the first time.

I know there a lot of people out there who will laugh/scuff at me for thinking this sounds old…but, it kind of is.  I am entering the last year of my 20s, and I’m not exactly happy about it.  I agree with the adage that you are only as old as you act/feel…but 29 sounds and feels…like…30.

Turning 30 will be a big deal to me.  When I was younger, 30 was that magic (albeit still old) number when life would be figured out.  All the trials and tribulations of my youth would be over and on my 30th birthday, I’d be sitting pretty.  I’d have a great career…an amazing house…I’d be well-traveled…in short, I’d be filthy rich…naturally.

Thirty was also the year I was going to start *thinking* about kids.  Ha! 

What my almost-30 reality actually looks like:

I very much enjoy my work (and not many people can say that!!); I’m a Senior Proposal Writer for Aerotek.  I could not have asked to work with a better group of people – they are truly fantastic!  But, as is my nature, I want more, more, more…hopefully I’ll continue to up the corporate ladder.  It would be nice to run that joint one day.

I have an amazing…townhouse!  Okay – it’s not my farm, yet, but it’s perfect for us.  We have plenty of space and since it’s an end-of-group, my dog has a nice-sized backyard in which to play.  I’m extremely grateful that James and I were able to buy this place in 2007 (not grateful that the market sucks now)…but what can you do?  We’re hoping to make the farm (farmette, really) a reality in the next year or two.

Am I well-traveled…eh, probably not.  I’ve never been to Europe, but I’ve been all over the East Coast, and have been to L.A., Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Mexico, Canada, and Bermuda.  So, no real complaints there.  My brother and I would love to go to England and Ireland in the next year or two though…so fingers crossed.

So am I rich?  Yes and no.  I don’t have a million dollars in my bank account…but it’s not empty!  I have the best husband in the world.  He is kind and patient and very understanding of my I-need-more-horses disease.  I love his redheaded face!

And kids?  Nope…still not ready for them either.  Now, we’re going to start *thinking* about them around age 34…or 35…or 37.  For now, we’re totally content with our four-legged family…Misty, Izzie, and our three cats, Penelope, Snapple and Duckie.

I know that I’ll always be that person who isn’t satisfied with her current position…who always wants to be better, be smarter, do more…but getting ready to turn 29 for the first time has taught me that being like that is okay.  It’s okay to ALWAYS have goals…it’s okay to always be looking for that next thing on the horizon as long as I’m not overlooking the present and taking it for granted.

Happy 29th Birthday to Me!