Thursday, December 29, 2011

Happy New Year’s

If you’re like me, you’re scratching your head wondering what happened to the summer…wasn’t it July 4th just last week?   I can’t believe it’s the end of the year already, that the holidays are just about over and we have a long winter ahead of us.

So to keep myself from falling into a deep depression (because I seriously hate the cold weather…especially after we say goodbye to Christmas when there’s nothing else to look forward to), I’m going to make some New Year’s Resolutions.

I usually avoid making resolutions (minus one you’ll see below) because I can get a little obsessive about holding myself accountable…and quite honestly, I put enough pressure on myself as it is.  But this year I’ve decided to make some open-ended resolutions – no due dates!

1.  To have fun with Misty
Every year I say things like, I’m going to take Misty to at least five shows…take biweekly lessons…be at this level of competition by this date, etc. and these things NEVER happen.  With horses, the only thing you can count on is…that you can’t count on anything!!  I’m finally learning this lesson…nothing with those crazy equines ever goes according to plan.  If I say I want to do X number of shows, something will surely happen that with throw everything off.  Misty will start having back pain…she’ll throw a shoe and the farrier won’t be able to get out right away…I’ll have a bad day/confidence buster and talk myself out of doing whatever I had planned for the following week.

Misty Mystique lives to ruin my plans.

So instead of making concrete plans with a Misty Mystique who lives to break them, I’m just going to set this simple resolution.  This way I won’t (hopefully, anyway) beat myself up if I’m not bringing home the blue ribbons every weekend.  I have finally recognized that horses are unpredictable, and I can’t always control every aspect of our mommy-horsey relationship.  Therefore, I vow not to get down on myself if I’m not where I’d like to be at a specific point.  Overall, Misty and I have come SO far, further than I ever thought we’d get.  So as long as I’m having fun and enjoying her company…and she’s a happy and healthy horse, then I’m okay.

2. To streamline my house/life
As a child, I was an extreme packrat.  I would keep everything because I thought “I might need it someday.”  In recent years, I’ve gotten over this.  Instead, I think – if I haven’t thought of this/worn this in over a year, it’s gone.  James and I are constantly putting bags of clothes and household goods aside for Purple Heart. 

Because clutter is scary...
This year, I want to continue that trend and give my whole house, thus, life, a makeover.  I want to continue going through my closet and keep only nice pieces that I wear on a regular basis.  I want to go through my house, room by room, and streamline everything, keeping only the necessities.  Everything else will go to Purple Heart…or the trash.

By doing this, I will be clearing the clutter from my life (although I wouldn’t really classify my house as cluttered, for the most part), and feeling more comfortable in my surroundings.  Also, I will be readying myself in case I move in the next year or two, which is the goal.  When we finally do move, I don’t want to be packing up boxes of useless crap…so if I sort things beforehand, I’ll be ahead of the game!

3. To eat healthier
This is my resolution every single year.  I love sugar…love love sugar…but I really need to eat it in moderation.  Some days are better than others as I really try to be conscious of what’s going in my mouth, but each year I still find myself hitting the sweets hard.  So…again…I’ll make this resolution.  I’ll feel like I’m eating healthier when I cut back on the sugar and add more fruits and veggies to my diet.  Fingers crossed I actually stick to this one for once…but given my track record, I’m not very hopeful!
Misty lives by the apple a day rule...I need to as well...
So there you have it…my resolutions.  Each is designed to make me a better, healthier person.  I know that I put a ton of pressure on myself in almost every aspect of my life, so I’m really hoping to put an end to that pattern and learn to relax and live in the moment a little more.  What are your resolutions?

I hope you all have a wonderful New Year!  And thanks for sticking with my blog during its first year!